Monday 18 June 2012

Keeping up to date (day 10 #blogjune)

I've posted before about some of the methods I use to keep up to date. Con and Kate blogged recently about what they read to stay up to date with what is happening. I still intend to do a post on some of the blogs I read, but as I'm on my iPad right now am not sure if I can get links to work efficiently. Will look at that later.

I also blogged about the fact that #blogjune causes my feeds to explode enormously (at the time of writing I am now under 1000, currently at 857 unread feeds!). I continuously add more subscriptions to my reader and leave them there to read when I feel like it. I don't always read everything, a lot of the time I skim them to see what catches my eye. I've started unsubscribing from feeds that only have a summary post; I don't have the time or inclination to keep jumping to sites to read the post in its entirety.

I subscribe to Library Link of the Day,which is the only way I get news via email now, unless it is sent to me directly. I get a lot of information from Twitter and use strawberryj.am to see what has come through on Twitter that I may have missed.

I'm on the magazine routing list at work and skim through many from Australia and overseas to see what catches my eye. These include journals about public libraries, technology and literacy. I pay more attention to these ones, as they directly relate to my work. I also receive journals on academic libraries and I skim through these to identify any emerging trends that may translate across into my sector. Needless to say, these pile up quite quickly...

No comments: