Sunday 19 June 2011

Post 9 June card challenge - Days 8 to 10


Here are the first 3 cards for week 2 of the June card challenge.

Day 8 was making a card using no less than 3 buttons. Having sewn for most of my adult life, I have no shortage of buttons in my house. I have so many that I once organised them by colour because it took me so long to find a few that matched. I am always glad to use buttons on my layouts or my cards for this reason :) My love of buttons started at a very young age when I used to go through my mother's button tin and admire the colours all mixed together. I still love walking past rows and rows of buttons in Spotlight, all organised by colour..... For this card I chose contrasting coloured buttons in varying sizes and placed them randomly on my cardstock. When I was happy with the placement, I glued them down and then drew in the stems and leaves. I'd like to make more like this.Day 9. Make a card using glitter. This was a challenge for me, as I tend not to use a lot of glitter on anything, one due to laziness in getting the glitter out and two because I end up wearing a lot of it! The glitter is very hard to see in this picture, but I used a new Kaszazz flourish stamp in the bottom left hand corner with some pearlescent glitter. It was a lovely, understated effect. I used the wrong glue though, and the glitter brushed off, so I will have to revisit this one :) The base card was a pale pink, but I stamped a flourish background in a darker, pearlescent pink ink to give it some more interest.Day 10. Make a card in a shape that is not a square or a rectangle. The hardest part of this challenge was actually deciding on what to do - I had so many different ideas. I ended up going with a telescoping circles card that I learned at a Creative Memories workshop a few years ago. The variation I added to what I learned was using scalloped circles rather than plain circles. I used my Spellbinders nestabilities to cut out 5 circles, 4 of which were in varying sizes, half an inch apart (aside here - I am very much a metric girl, but when scrapbooking, making cards or talking about a baby's weight/person's height, I can't instantly visualise anything unless it is in imperial measurements, not sure why...). See below for a photo of the card opened in all its telescopic glory.

No comments: