Thursday 30 June 2011

Post 30, Careers paths

I was thinking today about the various career paths that are open to librarians, as well as how we ended up where we have. I am going to keep this post short and sweet and finish it by asking some questions of you all.

Why did you decide on librarianship as a career? When did you realise this was the profession you wanted to work in? Did you study as an undergraduate or postgraduate? If PG, is this a second, or even third, career for you?

Looking forward to some discussion!

2 comments:

Penny said...

My post on why & how I became a librarian is here :)

Jackie said...

It never occurred to me to become a librarian until I had a soul searching episode in 2007. I was desperately unhappy in my old career (marketing) and my partner and I got a big bit of paper and started brainstorming.

Funnily enough, as soon as we started writing I knew it was pointing to librarianship. Just felt right. And when I started telling people I was going back to uni to be a librarian, to a person everyone paused, thought for a moment, and said "Yep, that's you".

Sometimes I think it might have been nice to know that librarianship was for me before I was 28, but then again it's all about the journey, so they say...